Friday, May 19, 2006

Is God really in control?

We may affirm God's sovereignty in our lives when we are confronted with the truth of His Word. We may celebrate God's sovereignty in our lives when we can see clearly how He has worked to bring about a certain event or resolution. But what about when things don't go our way? What do we say then?

Things aren't going my way right now. I have a notebook computer from a company to remain nameless. It is worthless in its present condition. It may work for a few minutes (sometimes even a few hours), but it inevitably goes to a blue screen before blanking out completely with no warning whatsoever (other than what I should learn from the fact that it does this every time I use the notebook). I have talked to (approximately) 7 technicians over the last two days. They have tried everything they can think of to fix my problem. One of them was sure that he had accomplished the feat, but (even before he could get off the phone with me) Old Reliable crashed yet again.

I must admit that I have not always had right thoughts about God (and people on the other end of the phone line) through every moment of this trouble. But since I am one who affirms (and celebrates!) God's sovereignty in all things, I must grapple with how God's sovereignty relates to a problematic piece of machinery.

So, as part of that grappling:

First, I would do well to remember that if the fact that my computer doesn't work and may cost a bundle to fix is my biggest worry, I have many, many things for which to thank God.

Second, God could make my computer work (or the unnamed company honor their warranty) if He wanted to do so. God has some purpose in keeping my computer from working, and Paul tells me that God's purpose is my sanctification (growing in Christlikeness) and His glory (notice I did not say purposes).

Third, when things don't go my way I am reminded of my total inadequacy to do anything apart from Christ. If everything went the way I thought it should I would trust myself. Hey, I tend to trust myself even when it's plain that I am not in control. God designed this "trial" (if I may even use that word) to make me more dependent on Him, a lesson I certainly need.

I am reminded of the very message expressed in the name of this site, that I am only a beggar, constantly in need of God's grace, even when my notebook doesn't work.

We are beggars, that is true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know it is so easy to say that God is in control of every situation, but it is so very hard to believe it and to try an live you life proving it. i know that i really have a hard time trusting that God really is in control. Yet even when i fins things in my life that are really getting me down i just have to depend on God. he really is bigger than any problem that i have. if you all could pray for me in my further need of believing that God is in control that would be great.