Friday, April 06, 2007

When you have turned again

Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

Jesus’ words to Peter in Luke 22:31-32, just before predicting the denial that would shortly take place, are very encouraging. Peter is about to fall - and fall hard. Jesus seems to be more concerned about what is coming after the fall. God answered the prayer of Jesus for Peter, and he will answer Jesus’ prayers for me, referenced in Hebrews 7:25-27.

Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.

Why is this so important to me today? Every once in a while, I sin in ways that make it painfully clear to myself (and others) that I am a wicked sinner who stands very much in need of grace. Peter’s denial would have fallen into that category, I’m sure.

As I am thinking about Christ’s death and resurrection on this Good Friday, I am reminded by Peter’s failure (and my own) that Jesus came and lived and died and rose to deal with sin so that people could be brought back into right relationship with God.

So what did it mean for Peter’s faith not to fail? Obviously, Peter failed; but he got back up. That’s what faith does. It looks away to what Christ has done and puts away the sin. We learn that from Jesus’ next sentence.

And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

Jesus says, “Peter, I know you are going to fall. But Satan does not have the last word. I do. When you repent, you be a rock for others.” Not “if you turn,” but “when you turn.” That’s an amazing word of comfort for sinners who trust in Jesus.

Today, though I have failed and continue to fail every day, as I turn from my sin and to Christ and his sacrifice for it, I can then strengthen others who may doubt the fullness of God’s love and the depth of the mercy that he showed sinners in Jesus. Then I look forward to the day when “Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him” (Hebrews 9:28).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that God did choose to save us even though we are sinners! He gives hope for us even when we choose to sin! Happy Easter!